So, after breakfast on Monday, Drew took Nikki off to Nantes to catch her flight home to Kent, while the rest of us headed to the studio for a lesson in technique.
|Outside of studio|
|Inside of studio|
Afterwards, we went the opposite direction, by creating a wash and then forming images in it by lifting the image out of the wash using a dry brush. With that technique, it's all about timing--if it's too wet, nothing happens; if it's too dry, it's too late. The acorns and nasturtium leaf, above, were attempts on that.
These were all challenging techniques for me, as I tend to paint more like an illustrator, drawing and then painting on dry paper with a small brush and fairly dry paint (comparatively speaking). Instead, we were working with mop brushes and lots of water and pigment, and it felt really out of control. But out of control is good! It's how you learn. And I did learn some great techniques, which I am eager to further explore now, on my own.
Here is my first attempt at the berries, which had a few problems, so Jane helpfully showed me how to "whack in" some more color and then use splatter with a toothbrush to cover the flaws and add texture. Below that is another one I tried later, with greater success.
To be continued...