20 November 2011

Speaking of cranberries...

Discovered a great cake recipe in my mom's recipe box for Thanksgiving/Christmas-time, so I thought I'd share:


CRANBERRY CAKE
3 eggs
2 cups sugar (I use raw sugar)
3/4 cup butter, softened (I use Earth Balance buttery spread from Trader Joe's)
1 tsp. almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour (I use unbleached)
2.5 cups whole fresh cranberries (you can also use frozen, thawed, but fresh is better)
2/3 cup chopped pecans
Beat eggs with sugar until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Add butter and almond extract, beat 2 minutes. Stir in flour just until combined. Stir in the cranberries and pecans. Spread in a greased pan (13x9 or a largish springform), bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour. (Stick a toothpick in it--if it's clean, it's done. I let it brown a bit longer.)


The perfect combination of tart and sweet. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment