12 January 2014

Bandouille

This one was a long time in coming--I took my trip the first week of October, and I'm just getting to this in January!


This is a window on the 18th century farmhouse at Bandouille, with grape vines framing it (and yes, there were grapes, though not in this picture). There are a few overworked sections, some weird shadows, and a few details I lost that I wish I'd kept, but I'm pretty happy with it. I love painting windows, and stone, and old wood. I am less confident with foliage, especially specific foliage, but this has at least the feel of grape vine. I did a pale wash of Naples yellow (Daniel Smith) cut with gray behind everything, so it gave a nice dull warmth to the "whites."

I focused exclusively on painting this afternoon (instead of splitting my attention between painting and TV), and therefore missed two hours of fashions on the red carpet at the Golden Globes, but I'm glad I did--I at least managed to get the proportions and angles right! (see previous post) This will be a nice reminder of my trip to France.


6 comments:

  1. What a lovely sunny view on this grey January day :) Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done. Like various windows and doors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it turned out great! I love the shadows of the grapevines!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was worth missing the globes, it's lovely & very French!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everyone, for your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete