09 July 2016

EDiJ #9

Today's prompt was "ghost stories." I was a little bit at a loss--hard to paint something that's invisible, right? But then I decided to multitask.

I read the first book in Jonathan Stroud's series "Lockwood & Co.," called The Screaming Staircase, with my 6+7 Book Club at the library, and I've been meaning to read the second book ever since it came out (book #3 is also published by now!), but haven't gotten to it yet. I decided to paint the book cover so that when I finally do read it, I'll have a little illustration to go along with my review for the teen blog.


It's a charming horror-lite concept: An alternate London has inexplicably become infested with ghosts. They're everywhere--in houses, on the streets, and roaming the countryside. Only children and teens can see them or sense their presence, but they wreak all kinds of havoc on adults, even though invisible to them. So the adults quake indoors with all the lights on and all the doors locked, while the teenagers form up into companies and train to capture or destroy the ghosts, ridding people's houses of hauntings, poltergeists and the like. The series follows one company called Lockwood & Co., which consists of Anthony Lockwood, Lucy Carlyle, and George Cubbins, who gird up with silver chains and locking boxes (or jars) designed to contain the supernatural beings, and head out to spend the night in haunted mansions to do their thing.

I have a couple of books ahead of it, so I won't get to it for a while, but when I do, I'll be ready to review!

No comments:

Post a Comment