19 November 2016

Art = Sanity

I realized this morning that I haven't drawn or painted anything for weeks. I spent the week leading up to the election plagued by nerves, the week after it in shock and denial, and this past week alternately depressed and outraged. At first, every time I thought about drawing or painting, all I could dredge up was either "What's the point?" or "I have more important things to which I need to give my attention." But...that old adage about taking care of yourself first has merit, and one of the things that keeps me sane and on an even keel is making art. So, I pulled up World Watercolor Group's list of prompts for November and painted me some beets. I'm not a big fan of eating them, but the colors and shapes are appealing. I'm going to get myself back to a regular drawing and painting habit. Because if art doesn't matter, what does?


Le Pen and watercolors, in my Aquabee sketchbook.

1 comment:

  1. So true, so true. The morning after, I was taking in work for a benefit exhibit for a homeless shelter and place for restarting life. It seemed more important than ever to support their work as their clients are already at great risk. Art saves.

    ReplyDelete