21 July 2019

Fantasy for one's 30s

For some time now, I've had my eye on Sequim, Washington (see previous post, here), and this past week, on a whim, I went on Zillow to look at real estate prospects in that small town on the Olympic Peninsula.

One of the reasons I was initially so interested in Sequim was because of its reputation as the "lavender capitol of North America," so imagine my disbelief (and initial delight) when I saw that Purple Haze—one of the primary lavender farms in Sequim—was listed for sale! It's one of the most beautiful show places in the town, and apparently a thriving business. When I examined the listing more thoroughly, however, I saw that it has been listed for more than two years, so apparently people who want to take on a farm and two gift shops are few and far between.

I sent the listing to my cousin Kirsten (I keep trying to involve her in my retirement plans), who said to me, This needs people with a lot more energy (and money) than we have! and opined that a nice couple in their 30s with some kids to raise would be the perfect proprietors. I reluctantly conceded that she was right, so I contented myself with painting a picture of part of the farm instead. I borrowed a reference photo off the Sequim Outdoors Facebook page; I did message the photographer to ask permission, but never heard from her, so I went ahead. It's only painted in my sketchbook, so it's for me (and my blog), not to be used for profit.


It was challenging to paint, because of the need to convey the 3-D effect of the mounded rows of lavender, and also to get the feel for the far-away rows vs. the close-up disintegration into individual sprays of flowers and stems. I simplified parts of the background, leaving out other buildings and details, and had a lot of fun gradating the pink and purple in each row.

Apparently other people are as romanced by the idea of a lavender farm as I am; I received the most "likes" and comments on Facebook that I have for anything I have ever posted! I hope the photographer, Johnna Anzures, will forgive me for using her photo without waiting for her go-ahead.

In the sketchbook

Pencil and Paul Jackson watercolors by Da Vinci


No comments:

Post a Comment