02 January 2020

Commitments

I signed up for a sketch a day in January and then didn't like the first day's prompt, so I decided to desert that in favor of Sktchy's "30 Faces in 30 Days" class. They have four or five teachers who are sharing their specific methods of drawing/painting portraits, and since I had such a good time trying to reproduce my friends' faces in 2019, I thought it would be a good fit.

The first day we did a familiar exercise—a blind contour. I find it's a lot harder to do a blind contour while looking at a photo than it is to do it when you're looking in the mirror, for example, but still doable. Here are my two efforts. With the first one, I started like the teacher did with the top of the head/forehead, and with the second I did what I have learned serves me better, which is to start with the eyes and then draw outward from there to get the proportions right.


Coincidental to the "let's draw portraits" initiative, Danny Gregory over at Sketchbook Skool decided to host a "Draw With Me" session today that consisted of trying to draw the Mona Lisa in 45 minutes. It was actually pretty fun. He did his on an iPad, but a lot of us did ours "manually." Aside from her body and arms being waaaay too small for her head, I was fairly pleased with my results.


I'll do today's Sktchy session later on, when I'm less tired of sitting!



No comments:

Post a Comment