29 February 2020

Likenesses

Capturing a likeness is such a tricky thing. In this past six weeks of drawing and painting portraits, I think I have gotten better at it; at least I have improved on the placement of features so that people don't end up with either moon or horse faces! But capturing the likeness of an animal is even trickier—especially if you start out knowing that this is a beloved pet and someone is going to be judging your effort minutely for resemblance.

I'm painting an "in memoriam" portrait for a friend of a friend. My friend sent me several good reference photos, and one in particular that looked like it was doable, but then she said that the preference was for one of the other, "smiling" pictures, because that's how this dog will be best remembered. So, I gave it a shot.

I may be doing more versions of this one, perhaps trying the one from a different angle. This one feels a little more gape-y than smile-y. And the all-grass-everywhere background isn't pleasing me so much, now that it's done. But this was great practice, and I'm sure I'll be able to pull it off eventually.


This is "Mathilda, #1."
Pencil, watercolors, on Fluid watercolor block (140 lb.)
7.5x9.25"

No comments:

Post a Comment