31 March 2020

My town

The prompt is "COMMUNICATE: post office, phone booth, radio/TV..."

While I was researching the Van Nuys Airport, I found out one interesting detail that led me to another. In June of 1945, a redhead named Norma Jean Dougherty was working on a drone assembly line at the airport’s military factory when she was photographed for a story about war workers in Yank magazine. As a result of the photo, Norma Jean secured a screen test, and was reinvented as blonde bombshell Marilyn Monroe.


This factoid led to the discovery that the Van Nuys Civic Center Post Office Depot on Van Nuys Boulevard was re-christened the "Marilyn Monroe Post Office" in 2019, per a bill signed by the Resident.

I have come to the conclusion that, sadly, I have no sense of either scale or proportion. Something that looks like it's going downhill to me, when tested by laying a ruler on the photo or holding up an angle to the scene, is actually going uphill. I don't know what that's about, but it severely hinders my ability to render buildings correctly! This one is on a corner, with a doorway on an angle to both perpendicular streets, but you sure wouldn't know it from this drawing. Well, for better or worse...here is a quick sketch of the Art Deco façade of the MMPO.




No comments:

Post a Comment