25 April 2020

Unflattering selfie day

Today, for some reason, I decided to paint a painfully accurate and therefore not so flattering portrait of myself. In looking back at some of the pictures I have painted of my friends, I realized that the thing most fun about painting them was to include every detail, warts and all, but that I have refrained from doing that when it comes to myself. So, friends, here is your revenge for my career of brutal portrait honesty.

I couldn't quite bring myself to paint a "straight" portrait, that is, with a normal expression, so I shot a few reactionary selfies. This is "dismay," which I registered after reading an article this morning revealing that Covid 19 triggers the body to make blood clots. My dismay is extreme, because I already have a tendency to create clots, and have been taking a blood thinner for some time now to guard against that! What else will come from this horrid virus?!

Sorry to be Debbie Downer. All the more reason to stay home (forever?). Anyway, here I am, warts and all. Tomorrow (or maybe later today), I'll go back to more upbeat topics. (No, I didn't cut my hair, it's back in a messy braid.)



"Me, dismayed"
Uniball pen, watercolor, in Bee sketchbook



1 comment: