07 May 2020

Selfie in technicolor

I seem to be alternating between all-art and all-reading, so that for the past week I have been reading and blogging and now I'm pivoting back to art and blogging.

I decided to try yet another selfie, only this time using some nontraditional colors. I so admire people who make portraits into which they slap every color in the rainbow. I haven't quite achieved that yet, mostly because I have this compulsive need to blend that gets away with me and doesn't leave the nicely weird shapes and planes of colors that some of the artists I admire produce in their portraits. But...one step at a time.

Here is colorful selfie me, in light and shadow, with a bun on the back of my head and a slight attitude. I don't seem to know how to take a photo without attitude. It's either smile and look dim-witted, or look serious and come across as mean. I blame Dad, whose squinty close-together eyes I inherited, along with Mom's tiny down-turned mouth. So here I am, the product of heredity.


The angles are all just a little distorted because I worked flat on my table in front of the photo on my computer screen. I have to try to remember to elevate my sketchbook a bit at the back in future to make sure that doesn't happen.

Uniball pen and watercolor in Bee sketchbook

No comments:

Post a Comment