07 September 2020

I prefer reading

This one started out as a replacement for the pink one I made a few days ago, with the gesso background that stymied me in every direction. But I picked a different  color palette, and then decided to use a different "model" (reference photo), so the only thing that is really the same is the cat, and the fact that she's reading a book. Then I decided, since it was no longer a straight replacement, to use a different reading quote.

I finished the painting (I thought) midafternoon. It didn't have too many "wonky" qualities, and I actually thought it was a teensy bit boring, but I didn't really want to introduce stripes or dots or collage, so I decided that the fact she has a cat on her head and one pink eyebrow would have to be enough. I'm not happy with the way her teacup turned out (I misjudged the angle, so it doesn't really "read" as a cup), but I've done what I could do to fix it and I'm letting it go.

Then, as I looked at the painting, I realized that in the upper left corner there was the almost-perfect outline of a flying crow or raven emerging from the background. I was going to leave it be, but it insisted on becoming corporeal. And once it did, I saw the cloud trailing from its tail to her head and thought, Oh, it's an image that has emerged from the book! That made the book easy to name. I briefly considered something tongue in cheek, like "For the Birds," but decided that would interfere with the dignity of the psychopomp. So here it is, my latest "reading girl" painting.


Pencil, Daler Rowney inks, watercolors, Uniball pen, gesso, white gel pen, on 140-lb. Strathmore watercolor paper, approx. 7x10 inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment