21 September 2020

Off kilter

 With everything that's happening in the country right now, I'm feeling like the earth is uneasy under my feet. (It doesn't help that we had an actual earthquake in Los Angeles the same night RBG passed.) Several of my new friends on Deb Weiers's site have been expressing their unsettled natures through their artwork, and I was inspired by one of them, who painted the most perfect primal scream person, to try to express my own feelings of angst, anger, fright, frustration and, well, vertigo.

I found a fellow's photo online that seemed to convey all of that, and changed it to make it my own. The background I painted came up with these circular, planet-like shapes, so I accentuated them a bit with paint and circles, and then I thought, should there be a caption? So I typed "earth out of whack" into Google, and got an essay that told me the world is actually wobbling on its axis. In fact, the planet's axis shifted a total of 32 feet during the 20th Century!


The NASA people say the wobble is caused by three things, two of which, according to our GOP overlords, are "fake science." The first is loss of ice mass due to global warming: As the ice caps melt, mass is transferred from the polar regions into the ocean, shifting the balance. The second is called glacial rebound, which is what happens when glaciers recede and expose long-compressed ground, which starts rising back up to its natural level, changing the distribution of mass further. The last is mantle convection, i.e. tectonic plates doing the Pony due to molten rock shifts.

Is it any wonder balance and serenity are in jeopardy? Link up this trio with the randos bringing shock and awe to our government and I'm feeling pretty much like a Weeble.

The thing of which we have to keep reminding ourselves, however, is that Weebles wobble, but they don't fall down. No, they keep bouncing back, unsteady but eternally upright. Earth wobbles or not, we must do the same.

Pencil, Daler Rowney inks, watercolors, India ink, white gesso, Uniball pen, gel pen, on 140-lb. Strathmore watercolor paper, 9x12 inches.



No comments:

Post a Comment