14 October 2020

Back to basics

 I wanted to paint something tonight, but I wasn't led in any particular direction. Lots of people on my class site have been doing Inktober, which I avoid because I don't like just drawing in ink, I want to do full paintings, mostly, and also I never "feel" the prompts they offer. But I have to admit that I've been liking some of the more spare ink drawings I've been seeing, so tonight I decided to do a combination of pattern, spatter, and random line and let it all dictate a face for me. (I also didn't want to stay up until 2:00 a.m.!)

This is sort of going back to basics with what Deb Weiers teaches, with a combination of random background and blind contour drawing. I didn't do this one blind, but I did let the location of the lines and circles dictate the face. I also started drawing the connectors with my Uniball, but it was just too "civilized" next to the random stuff, so I drew the rest by dipping the wooden end of my brush in the ink and scrawling/scribbling with it. I had fun!

The red stuff at the top was an experiment that didn't work out very well. I had a piece of packing material that was a sort of diamond-patterned styrofoam-like webbing, and I thought it would be brilliant for texture to tape it down and paint through the holes; but because it's thick and bouncy, the ink connected with the material but not with the paper and didn't give a nice clean pattern. So I threw in some circles and shapes and outlined them to accentuate the red a little more.

Her name is Sukie, and her attention span is, shall we say, fluid at the moment...

Daler Rowney inks, India ink, gel pen, on Fluid 140-lb. watercolor paper, approx. 9x12 inches.


No comments:

Post a Comment