19 November 2020

Church Lady

After seeing the "sisters" I painted, my friend Phoebe challenged me to paint Dana Carvey in his immortal role as the Church Lady from Saturday Night Live. I jokingly said "I will if you will," and so far no portrait has manifested from Phoebe's direction, but this afternoon I decided I would give it a shot, regardless.

It's not quite Carvey-worthy. The hair could have been bigger, his eyes are a little too close together, and I picked one of his slightly less crazed expressions when I probably should have gone all out. Also, I decided to prep the paper first with colors, and they came out a little rough when this probably should have been a smooth painting.

I decided, too, that it would look a little more like the Church Lady if she had her signature stained glass window behind her, but I didn't take the time to use a straight edge to do the diamond shapes from one side of the "window" to the other, so if you follow the lines out to their completion, they don't intersect anywhere even slightly accurate. But...it was a quick and dirty painting, and the background was more for atmosphere than for verisimilitude, so...being in that kind of mood today, I'm going to say "Fuck it!" and let you like Church Lady or not. Not one of my personal favorites, but at least I met the challenge!

Pencil, Daler Rowney inks, white and black gouache, black Uniball Vision pen, white Signo gel pen, on 140-lb. Canson Montval watercolor paper, approx. 7x9 inches.


No comments:

Post a Comment