13 December 2020

Just because...

 Sometimes I have a clear reason to paint someone, whether it's because I want to draw attention to them, or fangirl them, or I am inspired by a thought or someone's comment or a quote...and then sometimes I can't really see the motivator, and I have to chalk it up to impulse. I was watching MSNBC last night; something Rachel Maddow said stuck with me, and today I decided she was my next subject, just because. (Also, I was in the mood for quirky, and she's kind of a quirky-looking gal, with her big black glasses, long neck, and spiky hair.)

I did find a quote from her that I liked, so I added that in. And I decided I wanted to go a little crazy—throw some spatter and some squiggles into the mix, and use some less orthodox colors. So here is Rachel, with mostly purple hair and splotches of turquoise and pink scattered freely on her skin, but hopefully still recognizable as the redoubtable newswoman that she is. (The pinstripe suit ought to help....)

Daler Rowney inks, pencil, white gesso, India ink, black Uniball pen, white Signo gel pen, on 140-lb. Fluid watercolor paper, 9x12 inches.


No comments:

Post a Comment