24 January 2021

Birthday portrait

 Today's was an impulse when I saw that one of my new friends from Deb Weiers's Wonky class was having a birthday. (I wish Facebook would give me the heads up a day or two before, instead of on the day!) I'm a big fan of Denise Malm's work, and decided to do a portrait of her as an homage.

In case anyone wonders, yes, she has freckles! Short of putting them in individually, which would take more time than I had today, I did random spatter to convey the general idea. I'm not very GOOD at spatter, so they don't look exactly like hers, but hopefully she won't mind.

I ended up putting the quote and greeting in afterwards, using Photoshop, because I thought if the portrait were to be framed later, having the birthday stuff on it would make it too specific/dated.

Pencil, Uniball, Signo white gel pen, white gesso, Daler Rowney inks, watercolor, on Fluid coldpress 140-lb. watercolor paper, 7x12 inches.

1 comment:

  1. This was such an awesome surprise! Love the freckles!! You are an amazing artist and friend!

    ReplyDelete