07 March 2021

Two characters with funny names

Last night I felt like doing another painting but didn't want to do anything too complicated, so I drew this little portrait of my friend Phoebe's cat, Kablooey, in ink, and added some color. (Since he's mostly white/beige, it was able to be minimal!) Who could resist a cat named Kablooey, or that big flat nose or those mesmerizing eyes?



Today I didn't want to get into a big production (I have plans for chores and cooking), but since it's the last day of the Olga Furman challenge, I decided to do a contour drawing of one of the reference photos on offer, the model Twiggy. Her name came from her stick-like legs and arms, and she was the bane of my existence in high school when that slight figure was the ideal and I was growing increasingly buxom about the chest and hips.

I thought I would do her with just some eye and lip color, but then I added shadows and green to the flowers, and thought I should probably recognize those ruddy cheeks, and got a little carried away. It was still way more minimal than the usual, and I like the contrast of some fulsome features with the spare black and white in the rest of the portrait. Since she was known for her big puppy dog eyes and rosebud mouth, it's appropriate as well.


"Kablooey" and "Twiggy"—Uniball pen and watercolor, on 140-lb. Fluid coldpress watercolor paper. 9x10 and 9x12, respectively.


No comments:

Post a Comment