31 March 2021

Van Gogh Fairy?

If you know me, you know that I am stubborn. Also, I don't like to fail. That sad aquamarine fairy from the other day made me cringe, and then today I saw the instructor's rendition, which was really nice! So when I saw a reference photo that made me look twice, I decided that she would be my Van Gogh fairy, AND that I would do the painting in watercolor just to prove that I could, even if that's not optimum for getting Vincentish results. So I did.

I didn't quite get the hang of the directional thing in the background at first, so it's kind of distracting, but I mostly pulled it off on the figure herself. I laid down a base of turquoise/lime mixed ink, let that dry, then drew her in pencil and started making dots and strokes. It took a long, long time! Even though I love Van Gogh's art so much, I can't imagine choosing to paint that way.

And yes, Phoebe, I went there.



"Van Gogh Fairy"—Daler Rowney inks, pencil, Paul Jaackson watercolors, Uniball pen, gold metallic watercolor, on Fluid 140-lb. coldpress watercolor paper, 9x12 inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment