16 April 2021

Character driven

I just finished reading The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell, by Robert Dugoni, and decided to do a portrait of the main character to go with my book review, which will be posted tomorrow.

Sam has ocular albinism, which caused him to be born with red eyes. You can imagine what going through Catholic school is like with that physical trait to contend with, yes? Hint: Nicknames are Sam Hell and Devil Boy.

I chose to paint Sam when he was first starting school, so he would be about six years old here. It's good practice for me to paint children, it's a different challenge from adults. What I have discovered is that I consistently make their faces too long and narrow/slim, which ages them. I did that to Sam, here, but since he was quite young in the reference photo I chose, he still looks pretty youthful. His eyes are a teensy bit too far apart...




"Sam Hell"—Pencil, Uniball pen, Daler Rowney inks, on Fluid 140-lb. coldpress watercolor paper, 6x9inches.

And here is another, older child whose picture I painted yesterday from an old photo. Someone might recognize her...or maybe not. She's probably about 14 here.


Same materials as used above, same size.


No comments:

Post a Comment