24 April 2021

This one's for Cos

Sometimes when I feel like doing a wonky painting but am lacking inspiration, I'll google random stuff and see who shows up. This morning I had the seed of an idea but not a specific face to put with it, so I googled "women with goofy expressions" and found a lot of good material for future faces. One of them, however, rang a bell and it fit perfectly with my "seed," so I went for it.

After doing the stencil hair on my previous painting and having it turn out so interestingly, I wanted to try another stencil idea for hair. But when I started laying it down, it looked more like hair in rollers than just hair. So I found a lady with a quizzical expression and rollers in her hair, which reminded me of the last time I had a facetime breakfast with Kirsten, and her mom popped in to say hello, with her hair up in curlers and wearing makeup. I asked Kirsten after if Carol Sue was going out somewhere that day, and Kirst said No, I don't think so, she just likes to keep up her appearance.

So this one's for you, Cos, for going that extra mile those of us who have lived in pajamas for 13 months have long abandoned!


"Curlers"—pencil, Daler Rowney inks, white gesso, Uniball pen, Signo gel pen, on Fluid 140-lb. coldpress watercolor paper, 9x12 inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment