13 June 2021

Back to 30x30

I decided to attempt a direct-to-paint picture of these geraniums highlighted against a window today. I didn't want to totally give up on the month's commitment so soon, and I was intrigued by the white light coming through the window vs. the darkness in the room, and how it made the flowers stand out.

The background was a little bit more defined than I painted it here, but I didn't want to get so fussy that it would detract from the shapes the geraniums make against the green background. I started too high on the page, so I couldn't include the dark of the room around the top. I was pretty happy with how I rendered the pots, but less happy with the variations in the leaves of the plants. And as usual, I had a few perspective problems with those shelves. But over all, I'm satisfied with it.


30x21_Geraniums, PJ watercolors in Bee mixed media sketchbook, 9x11 inches.

(Doesn't it seem like the plural of geranium ought to be gerania instead of geraniums?)


No comments:

Post a Comment