05 June 2021

Lesson Two

And yet another post today! Lots of painting going on...

For our second lesson in the "Find Your Joy" exercise, we were supposed to pick something we usually/normally paint (i.e., portraits for me, landscapes or still life for others), and first we were to do it using unfamiliar materials and tools, noticing what we enjoyed about that process and what we didn't.

So, for my first painting I used toned paper because I usually like a light-filled background instead, and then I painted the entire thing in fairly thick acrylics using only a palette knife. I was able to define some things but not others, and she looks kind of like Robin Williams in Mrs. Doubtfire when he covers his face in a whipped cream disguise! The thing I did enjoy, amidst all the awkwardness, was the strokes I made for her hair—there was something more spontaneous about them than I sometimes pull off in watercolor. In fact, although I wasn't too pleased with the outcome, the tension of being somewhat out of control of my materials was a good experience.


So, for my second painting, I used white paper and gave it a pink base coat to suit my model's complexion, but when it came time to start painting, instead of using my Escoda brushes, which are fairly stiff and give me a lot of control, I picked up a #12 Silver Black Velvet brush, which has both a huge amount of flexibility and a capacity for holding water or pigment that probably exceeds the Escodas by two to one. I have never previously enjoyed painting with this brush, saving it mostly for applying spatter, since it is so flexible; but today I purposely put things a bit out of control and painted exclusively with it. And while it was difficult in some ways, in others it gave a more blended and spontaneous feel to things like shading on the face and neck and yes, in painting those wispy bangs. I also sought out some colors that are a bit more nuanced than I would normally use. The final effect is softer and more delicate than my usual style, with a more watery feel.


It's good to test yourself. I don't know if I'll keep doing it, but it's enlightening.


No comments:

Post a Comment