08 July 2021

Draw and Talk

Nate and Salli from the "theydraw" community/website (formerly theydrawandtravel and theydrawandcook) are hosting "Draw and Talk" sessions for an hour on occasional Thursday mornings, and what fun it is. They come up with a topic; show examples from their database of recipes and travel maps; and then put something onscreen for us to draw while we discuss various aspects of this kind of project. Then we share (if we want to) what we have drawn.

Today's topic was "still life," and it was a fun one. I only managed to draw a small percentage of the stuff that was on screen, but that was sort of the point: Pick out what resonates for you, arrange it in any way you see fit, and put it together.

I am always blown away by both the skill and speed of the many professional illustrators in this community; while I painstakingly did my contour drawing of the few objects I selected from the many, and then added some watercolor, some of them were creating virtually finished pieces either by hand or on their iPads. But as we are reminded each time we do these, it's not about competition, it's about finding our own unique way to represent what's in front of us.

So, here's my humble effort:


And here is the original screenshot of what was on offer. I might come back later and try this again, adding in some elements like those great wooden spoons and platter and that weird pitcher in the background.


There will be a "gallery" of what people did, later today or tomorrow, on Instagram. If I can get the link, I'll post it here.

1 comment: