12 July 2021

Lesson #2

This is Lesson #2, otherwise known as a Hot Mess!

I spent the afternoon creating backgrounds for two portraits, and I think it's all to do over tomorrow, because I got carried away and covered most of the white of the paper with layers of color, which is not the idea at all. There need to be bare areas as well as paint areas, and the paint needs to go on thinly, but mine rapidly got dark and impenetrable.

I decided to try painting a girl on one of them anyway, and it did not go so well. I had to do far too much covering up of the background, when the idea is to let it shine through, and I had absolutely no idea how to save the hair area. I'm also so clumsy when it comes to applying the acrylic—I haven't yet got the feel for the perfect consistency, not too wet or too thick, to get it to go on smoothly. Not that your goal is always to have it be smooth, but you have to be, um, "artful" about it.

Anyway, here's my first effort. I'm going to have a do-over tomorrow, and maybe a few more after that. After all, each one is instructional.



No comments:

Post a Comment