22 October 2021

Empathy

I couldn't decide what to call this one. I wanted it to convey sympathy, compassion, fellow feeling,  and finally that comes down to empathy, "the ability to understand and share the feelings of another." I painted this while thinking of my cousins Cos and Kirsten, who are really going through it right now. Some of the things they are feeling I can completely share, while others, since I haven't experienced them directly, are a little harder. I just knew I wanted to make some art to express that they are in my thoughts and my heart goes out to them.



"Empathy"—charcoal pencil, acrylic paints, and Stabilo All on Fluid 140-lb. coldpress watercolor paper, approx. 8x11 inches.

It's surprisingly difficult to paint someone with only part of their face showing and get all the angles right. I redrew this three times, and can still see a few things I should have fixed. But I wanted the effect of someone standing back out of the center of attention, so I gave it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment