02 December 2021

Getting my nerve up

Today I finally went back to my first real "canvas" painting, which is also my first with full figure, and actually with two of them. I ended up imposing a grid over the photo and then duplicating it on the canvas so as to locate everything properly, although the proportions were not identical and I fear that the vertical boxes on the painting will be a bit elongated. But since I am not going for an entirely literal portrait but rather doing a more abstract study of light and shadow, I don't think there will be any harm done.

So far, I have put in the preliminary drawing, which has already gone through multiple changes and I'm sure will evolve further as I get out the paintbrushes. In fact, just the act of photographing it and looking at the photo shows me where I need to make adjustments—funny how different things look once they're in a still shot.

I'm a little nervous about the whole thing, but it's also exciting to try something new. I'm taking a lunch break and then breaking out the paints.

Oh, and as a bonus...a rare photo of the uncooperative model Gidget, in her perch on the patio in front of my prolific lemon tree.



No comments:

Post a Comment