28 December 2021

Pensive

I was looking up some poetry for someone today and came across a photo of Anaïs Nin in an uncharacteristically pensive pose, with face propped on hand. It was black and white, but based on a few color photos of her I was able to get a general idea of her hair color at this point in her life (earlier and later she must have dyed it dark/black, I think, because it was so radically different), and I extrapolated the rest based on the light in the photo.

I also, of course, used my leftover-paint background as a basis for the color palette. These paintings are a little pale and a little pink sometimes, but for this particular painting the colors seemed appropriate. I'm enjoying this sort of scrubby painting method I'm using on these.

I thought about breaking out some gold/gilt paint for the necklace, but decided it would take away from the otherwise extremely matte feel of this, so I stuck with paint. Naples Yellow is an extremely versatile color, working for blonde hair, gold jewelry, and some skin tones as well. 


"Anaïs"—pencil, acrylic paints, and a little Stabilo All pencil in brown, on Fluid 140-lb. coldpress watercolor paper, 9x12 inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment