24 January 2022

Graphite

Every Monday they keep throwing pencil drawings at us as assignments, and every Monday I have deviated and used another medium. Today I finally decided to give in and do one. It's not that I can't do it; it's that I don't do it that well, and also I don't enjoy it near as much as I do ink or paint of ANY kind. But...here it is.

This was Patrick Greenwell's lesson, and I do admire his drawings. I didn't use the reference photo from which he worked, though, mostly because after only three weeks I am heartily sick of seeing the same face a thousand times every single week as each student does her version of the model. I told Phoebe today that one requirement for taking this class should be that you watch the lesson, then apply it to your own reference so we aren't all so heartily bored by the time the first thousand get done and then the hundreds of stragglers keep posting over the next six months!

We were supposed to use a photo with a difficult angle, so I chose this one with an extreme uptilted chin, to show foreshortening. At least one person will (I hope!) recognize the subject of this drawing, while for others it will just be another pretty face!

This was done with a hard and two soft leads, and then I went back in with a little Carbothello colored pencil for the blush on the cheeks and the brown of the eyes.

"Chin Tilt"—H, 2B, 6B pencils and Carbothello in Bee multimedia sketchbook, 9x11 inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment