19 February 2022

Strachans!

A few days back I made a watercolor of Kara Strachan Bullock, and today when I went seeking a reference photo from which to practice the "Nadyia" technique again, I decided I'd better also do Kara's artist sister, Deanna Strachan Wilson, or there would be shouts of favoritism! No, really I wanted to use her photo because she has almost completely white hair, and I thought it would have a cool unfinished look next to the full-on cross-hatch, pen, watercolor, and acrylic treatment of the face.

I didn't really intend to go so dark with my colors (she's pretty pale), but the brush pens are so intense that I had to bring other things up to match them. Also, I mistakenly picked up a green pen when I was going for a gray, so there are some interesting shades incorporated. But over all, I feel like it worked, and I had fun, once again, using the Nadyia method.


"Deanna SB"—Ohuhu and Arteza pens, watercolor, white acrylic, gel pens, Uniball pen, on Fluid 140-lb. coldpress watercolor paper, 9x12 inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment