28 July 2024

Angles

 Our Let's Face It 2024 assignment for last week was painting someone from a difficult angle. The teacher used a different reference photo, and painted something very colorful in oils; I chose to steal a reference photo from another student who, like me, wanted to do her own thing, and paint it in watercolor in an almost monochromatic way, using only yellows and browns with a bit of pink and purple thrown in as accent. I actually washed the entire page first with Naples Yellow, blotting off a few highlights and the whites of the eyes, so it would have a unifying color.

This was a tough one to paint, and I overworked the chin and under-chin area to the point where my paper (some Fabriano I am trying out) started to fray! I captured a fair likeness otherwise, but that chin-to-neck transition still bothers me.




This is 9x12 inches, using my Paul Jackson watercolors on Fabriano 140-lb. 25% cotton paper. I called it "Up Your Nose."

No comments:

Post a Comment