08 October 2024

Goofing off

I started a new still life yesterday, but I'm so unhappy with almost every aspect of it that I didn't want to work on it today! So instead I'm responding to a total stranger's request.

I miss getting snail mail. I'm old enough that that used to be the only way we got birthday greetings, and I always had a whole shelf of birthday cards every October 4th, but these days the cards are few and far between; people post a greeting (some basic, some more festive) on Facebook and that's an end to it. So when I saw this request on Instagram (@colesjuliana1),
I decided to do it.

An artist who herself paints all things "pirate" as a recurring theme in her mixed-media work is turning 61 on October 17th, and said that all she wanted for her birthday was 61 pirate postcards, but she wasn't sure she had that many friends to fulfill her wish. I immediately related, so today I made a birthday greeting for Julianna Coles for her 61st birthday. Happy Birthday, Matey!

(I also happen to know three other people whose birthday is on October 17th, so maybe I'll get more ambitious and make postcards for them as well, now that I've made the one...)


"HB Matey"—pencil, watercolor, Uniball pen, gold Signo, computr printout,
on 140-lb. Fabriano watercolor paper, 5x7 inches (for mailing purposes).


No comments:

Post a Comment