03 April 2019

Breakfast vignettes

Between getting ready for my first Young Adult Literature class at UCLA yesterday and prepping for my first contour drawing workshop this coming Saturday, I have spent a lot of time this week at the computer, plus running errands to Dick Blick and Office Depot to buy supplies and get printouts, so I don't have much artwork to show.

I went to breakfast last week with Kirsten at More Than Waffles and managed a 5-minute sketch of the lamp hanging in the window I was facing during the scant minutes I had to wait for her to arrive; and I did a little capture of the early-morning folk in the UCLA cafeteria area, one whom I surmise (from his dress) might be a groundskeeper or other kind of workman there, and the other a student waiting for class to start.



The fellow in the plaid shirt noticed me sketching the other guy and was antsy and self-conscious when I seemed to turn my attention towards him afterwards, so I could only take quick glimpses. Some people really don't like it when you draw them! Others, of course, are flattered and want to see the end result, which almost never looks like them and is therefore a disappointment, usually producing effusive but vague compliments and a hasty retreat. I don't know which I prefer!

Honestly, the preoccupation of modern folk with their cell phones yields some of the best motionless and oblivious models one could want, except for the repetitiveness of the scene.



Uniball pen, Moleskine sketchbook, various watercolors.


No comments:

Post a Comment