06 April 2019

Contour, Portraits

More practice art for this week—contour drawings I did as demonstrations in my class at Los Angeles Public Library:





And portraits of the two founders of Sketchbook Skool, Koosje and Danny, assayed during this week's live online "Portrait Party":


I think I have finally figured out my biggest problem with doing portraits: I start at the top of the head. It seems like the logical place to start; I mean, if you were going to draw, say, that bell pepper up there, you would probably start with the stem, right? But when it comes to doing portraits, I draw the top of the head, or the hair, in the correct proportion to what I'm seeing, but then the features of the person somehow grow LARGER when I draw them, and by the time I'm done with the head, the top of it is disproportionately too small for the rest of it. Koosje's doesn't stick out as too different, but Danny is definitely wearing a hairline and forehead way smaller than his face requires! So from now on, I'm going to try drawing the features FIRST, and then go back for the head and the jaw. We'll see if that works.

Hopefully there will be more art on here soon; I'm planning a trek with the L.A. Urban Sketchers to see wildflowers.




No comments:

Post a Comment