18 January 2020

Rhythm lines

The next exercise was to find the "rhythm lines" in the human body, specifically looking for "S-curves." Our model was a young ballet dancer, Heidi, and although she was cute, poised, and drawable, she was also 10 or 11, not really old enough to have developed too many rhythm lines in comparison with an adult ballerina. So I decided to take on a greater challenge and draw a dancer whose photo I had saved from a shoot in the streets of New York City.

Halfway through this, I deeply regretted doing it in my sketchbook instead of on watercolor paper, because I just couldn't get the level or subtlety of shading I needed on the thinner paper. I also went too purple with the asphalt as a background, so the dancer doesn't stand out as much as she could/should have. There's lots wrong with this, but it definitely was a great exercise in rhythm lines and s-curves. The muscles, the grace, the expression, were all a privilege to attempt to mimic.

This is #17, the second today in an attempt to catch up. Since she wasn't on Sktchy, I don't have a name, so...


#30Faces30Days — "Dancer"
Pencil/eraser and watercolor in Bee sketchbook

No comments:

Post a Comment