06 June 2020

Knowing when to stop

I decided today that I would do a painting in which the watercolor spoke for itself — I would lay down colors, let them mingle spontaneously, and not overwork.

I did pretty well with the beets, but when it came to the foliage things got out of control, which is to say, I quit letting the watercolor act and started trying to manipulate it, and it lost the quality of freshness. In other words, I have a lack of control about becoming controlling, if that makes sense.

I also misguidedly tried to save the spontaneity by laying down some "confetti," but ended up with a combination of too-large and too-regular dots and a couple of "arterial spray" moments. I just cannot get the hang of this effect. I see people online who just load up their brush and FLICK it, and there it is, a perfectly random-looking spatter of paint; but I look at this and despair.

Tomorrow, a do-over: spontaneous beets without confetti.


Paul Jackson watercolors in Bee sketchbook.

1 comment:

  1. At least you didn't get mud. If I had tried that foliage, it would be a messy mud-colored blob. (Actually, I think this is very good. The beets are fantastic!)

    ReplyDelete