07 June 2020

The Do-over (sort of)

I judged my beet greens harshly yesterday and swore to do them again, but when I posted the picture on Facebook I got a lot of feedback that said I was being too hard on my picture. (I still dislike the splatter of perfect little round dots, and will practice that with various brushes until I figure it out before doing it on a painting again.) So for today, instead of re-painting the same picture, I decided my "do-over" would be a similar but not identical subject: Turnips! The shapes are similar, the foliage is similar, but the color spectrum is enough different that it kept me entertained.

I think I achieved a little more what I had in mind yesterday when I (more carefully) painted the turnip tops and tried not to mess with them too much. The darks were still difficult to achieve realistically. But what I really had fun with was the turnips themselves—painting lavender and "white" turnips without using any actual white, and yet conveying the idea of white. I think I did okay. And I purposely left a couple of small unfinished edges, including one that spontaneously "bled out" for a nice effect.



Paul Jackson, Daniel Smith, and M. Graham watercolors in my Bee Sketchbook.


No comments:

Post a Comment