09 June 2020

Monotone: Sepia

Today was a quick sketch with a brush to see if I could capture this old sepia-toned photograph of a cute little housewife standing in her kitchen without drawing it first. It got a lot too outline-y for my taste, but I did get a pretty good likeness of her and her surroundings. My favorite parts were her hairdo, her apron, and that she was wearing bobby socks with little white beaded moccasins.

I'm always curious about the way things are done, so I looked up sepia toning and discovered a few things. My online source said: "In sepia toning, chemicals are used to convert the metallic silver in the print to a sulfide compound called silver sulfide, which is 50% more stable than silver, making it more resistant to environmental pollutants. Therefore, people in the olden days originally processed/developed their images in sepia to make them last longer."

So that old photo will probably outlive my ephemeral watercolor on sketchbook paper!


Paul Jackson Cowbell (that's the color), in Bee sketchbook.


No comments:

Post a Comment