01 July 2020

Selfie

For a combination of reasons, most of them resulting from brangling with arrogant, overly sensitive, and poorly informed people online about my new business, I had another wasted day. Finally, I decided I'd try to save it with some therapeutic painting, so I assayed a selfie.

I was actually thinking it would be exploding with either red for anger or blue tones for, well, feeling blue, but the photo I managed to take to serve as a reference looked fairly cheerful, so that's how the painting ended up too. Somehow, despite the appearance of more and more gray hair, the angle at which I caught myself looked younger and happier than my current state would suggest! So I went with it. (Plus, the eyes came out a little bigger and the lips a little fuller, and the head tilt lost an extra chin...) Sometimes you need to idealize things, even if they are self-portraits. Or especially if they are self-portraits?

Here I am, with clean, pinned-back hair and a slight, pursey smile...



Uniball pen
M. Graham, Daniel Smith, and Paul Jackson watercolors
in Bee Sketchbook



No comments:

Post a Comment