07 August 2020

Hangover Harley

I got busy for a couple of days and couldn't make more of this fabulous Weiers-inspired artwork invading my head, and it made me crazy! (I was preparing for and then doing my first live streaming event on YouTube and Facebook for Los Angeles Public Library, a contour drawing class that drew more than 130 people!)

When I finally got back to it, I had received some additional inspiration in the meantime. My first-cousin-once-removed-in-law, David, had a "memory" pop up on his Facebook page of the year his son Harley turned 21, when they took a fabulous father-son trip to New Orleans to celebrate this milestone, and one of the pictures was of Harley "the morning after." I thought his droopy eyes and general expression perfectly fit into Deb Weiers's formula, plus I liked his ears and military "fade" haircut, and his mustache that my dad compared to a dead caterpillar sitting on his lip.

I first made marks on the page, and then dropped on Daler Rowney inks in orange and turquoise, added some water, and rolled them around the page until they mixed into this wonderful combination of greens and let that background dry. Then I drew a fairly realistic picture of poor Harley, exaggerating some features. I thought about adding text, but decided instead to simply replace his flag tattoo on his arm with "NOLA 21" in commemoration of place and birthday.

As always, a bit of the border is missing because of the size of my scanner bed, but it's all here but about a quarter inch each side.


"Hangover Harley"

Pencil, Daler Rowney inks, various watercolors, white gesso, India ink, gel pens, Uniball pen, collage (cookbook page), on 140-lb. Fluid watercolor paper.


1 comment: