03 November 2020

Lisa smiles

 My very first portrait in Deb Weiers's class was of my friend Lisa. It was exceedingly wonky, because I did it as instructed, as a blind contour. Although I really liked the way it turned out from an objective standpoint, it wasn't very flattering to Lisa; so tonight when I saw a photo of her that I had saved, relaxed and smiling while surrounded by her family, I decided to do a portrait that, while using some wild colors and some interesting textures, was still fairly realistic as regards likeness.


I think I mostly pulled it off, although the chin and jawline are perhaps a little heavy. But she was smiling ear to ear and I wanted to convey that sense of joy.

Daler Rowney inks, pencil, white gesso, Uniball pen, white gel pen, India ink, on Fluid 140-lb. watercolor paper, 9x12 inches.

(Here is the original, blind contour portrait.)






No comments:

Post a Comment