04 January 2021

Dapper Don

 Inspiration often arrives for me with a picture on the Internet, whether it's through social media or just a random perusal of images. Most often the subsequent work is a mash-up of two or three photos, or the translation into some concept that I want to illustrate. The production of a straight portrait has become less interesting to me than the transformation of ordinary into, well, at least more interesting, if not transformative.

Some of you may recognize this elegant gentleman as Ryan McDonald, husband (and hopefully good sport) of my friend Mika, while others may just think, Oh, it's a youthful Don Quixote with tinted sunglasses—that's an interesting anomaly. Either way, here he is, my latest conceptual portrait, "Dapper Don." Thanks to the model, particularly since I didn't ask permission first! 

Daler Rowney acrylic inks, pencil, white gesso, black Uniball Vision pen, Signo white gel pen, on 140-lb. Fluid watercolor paper, 8x10 with a one-inch border.


No comments:

Post a Comment