09 January 2021

The Gardener

 I had a whole picture in my head of how this one was going to go, and I messed up almost every element.

I bought some stencils because I really like how some people have been using them in the backgrounds of their paintings. What I didn't properly take in was that they were painting with acrylics. So when I tried out my stencils with watercolor, instead of nice crisp lines I got bleed and smudges.

I should have stopped at that point and started over, but I figured oh, well, it's background, it will be fine. But after I did the rest of the drawing and painting and then went in with black line everywhere, the so-called background looked weird because it was equally as intense in color as the foreground, but didn't have the black line. So I ended up putting kind of a scribbly line around/over everything, in the hopes of pulling it together.

So, it's a hot mess. But I still like certain elements, so I'm going to share. In accordance with the messiness of the art, I used a "messy" quote about gardening, instead of something profound from Gertrude Jekyll or somebody. And it's true—gardening IS good therapy, and you DO get tomatoes. And zucchini, and peas...



I wonder if my "model" will recognize herself from this. The reference photo was gleaned from her Facebook page, and it was a difficult angle to capture. She suffers a little from Pinocchio nose...

Stencils, watercolors, Daler Rowney inks, pencil, Uniball Vision pen, on 140-lb. Fluid coldpress watercolor paper, 9x12.



No comments:

Post a Comment