08 June 2021

Water, Sky

Today for 30xDirect, I tried one with both sky and water in it. I had the page tilted too much while I was working on it, so my transitions from blue to yellow to peach in the sky didn't stay separate, they all bled together and got muddy and quit looking like part of a sky. I was fairly happy with the "land" part of the painting, but the water was almost as problematic as the sky. And once again, my sketchbook paper didn't prove up to the task. I painted little reflections in the water of the buildings along the shore, and they mostly dissolved and had to be gone over, to their detriment.

I should either quit doing these excessively wet things on paper that won't hold up, or switch to stuff that I'm better at anyway, such as portraits and still life, that will work in my sketchbook. I'm loath to switch to "good" paper for these, since they are mostly just exercises, plus I like having the entire month contained in one sketchbook...but I also wanted to try some things that would challenge me this year, which the sketchbook doesn't like, so...bother.

Anyway...


30x21_WashingtonSunset—PJ watercolors in Bee mixed media sketchbook, about 7.5x10.


No comments:

Post a Comment