06 August 2021

Ethereal

This young woman is Rachel, a member of my library book clubs for several years about a decade ago. In high school her greatest love was cosplay, and she actually taught a cosplay workshop (complete with costumes, makeup, wigs, and props) as a library program during her senior year. I had lost track of her since graduation, but recently reconnected on Facebook, only to discover that she has embraced a career as a voiceover artist! Having done a little voiceover work in my misty past, I know what a challenge this can be, but she appears to be thriving. Her demo reel is quite impressive, as is her list of past clients.

I don't know this for sure, but I imagine part of her success is due to her constantly changing appearance and fabulous fashion sense! Last time I checked in, she was rocking kelly green hair, but yesterday she posted a new I.D. photo with a wispy pale blonde cut and an angelic vibe, wearing a white dress. I instantly wanted to paint this incarnation of Rachel, so here she is: Ethereal.

I have a nagging sense that this painting is either underdone or overdone. I wanted her hair to kind of disappear into the background, but I think I should have also let parts of her face and neck do so as well, instead of outlining them so thoroughly. I also thought about painting one side a dark green, but I didn't want to lose the hair effect. I'll come back and look at it again later, I guess.


"Ethereal"—Charcoal, acrylics, Stabilo, on Fluid coldpress watercolor paper,
9x12 inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment