13 October 2021

Affirmation

I'm so touched that I wanted to share this. I finally, after more than six months, sold a portrait off my Etsy site. It was the pen-and-acrylic-inks portrait of Rachel Maddow, titled "Rachel tells it like it is," and has a quote from the subject about honesty (see below).

I painted it during my first flush of frantic activity after taking Deb Weiers's class and finding out about the versatility and brightness of acrylic inks. It was one of a number of public figures whose faces and quotes I wanted to share, but no one seemed to want to buy one and put it in their home...until now.

I hadn't looked on Etsy again since I made the sale and shipped the piece, but it was time to update, so I went there last night, and found this remark from the person who bought it:

"Perfectly perfect! What a wonderful work of art! BUY FROM THIS ARTIST!

"The work itself arrived in perfect condition! It was exactly as advertised and made a wonderful gift for my wife!

"To the artist: Simply put, this belongs in a museum. Do you know that? I hope you do. But while I don’t own any museums to display your work in, I CAN do the next best thing…

"I have a young daughter. She will grow up in a home with this piece, among others, framed on the walls of our home for years to come. Rachel’s words, through YOUR art, will be there to help influence her always. Tupac Shakur said, and I’m paraphrasing, I may not change the world but I will shape the mind of the one who WILL. This work of art, in the presence of a young girl, may be able to do exactly that! Thank you for the opportunity to own this!"

How great is THAT?

3 comments:

  1. WOW!!! That is so affirming! Your skill and artistry keeps growing -- so happy you sold to such an appreciative buyer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great! I was JUST talking about you and the one I bought in this series before you opened your etsy shop. I also have a print of your women's march.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Absolutely brilliant and so well deserved. Your work is exceptional and this will be the important start you needed.
    Congratulations Melissa. I'm so proud of you and pleased for you. Xx

    ReplyDelete