15 October 2021

Combining prompts

Yesterday's prompt from #theydrawtober (the foodie list) was "Autumn Salad," and today's was "Acorn Squash." Yesterday I didn't feel much like painting (I went and got a couple of vaccinations and had to sleep off the effects), but today I thought I would at least do the acorn squash. But I was interested in what the internet had to say about autumn salads, and when I looked them up there was one incorporating acorn squash! So, serendipity and a combo post.

The squash is sliced thin and roasted with a glaze of maple syrup, cumin, paprika, salt, and cayenne pepper; once it's cooled you toss it together with all the other ingredients: mixed greens, thinly sliced red onion (I would leave that out, can't tolerate it!), dried cranberries, toasted pecans, goat cheese, and a liberal garnish of pomegranate seeds. (If you're vegan, substitute avocado for the goat cheese. Better yet, just add avocado, since we all know that everything is better with avocado!)

The vinaigrette is apple cider vinegar with either maple syrup or honey as a sweetener, combined with olive oil, minced garlic, fresh lemon juice, a little salt, and some dijon mustard. Yeah!


"Acorn Squash Salad"—Uniball pen and watercolors in Bee sketchbook, about 9x8 inches.

If you're interested in the entire recipe (which sounds pretty yummy), here's the link:
https://www.adashofmegnut.com/roasted-acorn-squash-fall-salad/

Perhaps this will appear on the Thanksgiving dinner table...if we have Thanksgiving this year! If not, I'll make it for myself and tantalize other people with photos on Facebook.


No comments:

Post a Comment