02 October 2023

Day 2

These Sktchy artists seem to be dedicated to keeping things, well, sketchy, or at least the watercolor equivalent. It's called loose, as regards both strokes and adherence to actual vs. interesting colors. Which is fine with me for a while, although I tend to enjoy working a little tighter than this.

This guy was a challenge from a couple of standpoints: His brows and parts of his beard were a very pale ginger color, that red hair color that's almost yellow but with a pinkish cast, and I didn't manage to save the eyebrows from being a bit sludgy or the beard from being darker in some spots than it should have been. I did have fun with the deep shadows around his eyes and under his nose, and I did enjoy introducing a lot of counter-intuitive colors to his complexion, but he got kinda smudgy towards the end. Overwork!


This is "Castor," aka SY23_Castor in my files. Pencil and watercolor on 140-lb. fluid coldpress, about 8x10 inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment