14 June 2019

Juicy

I love stone fruits so much; when the first apricots and peaches and plums start showing up at the market, I can't get enough of them. Patiently waiting for them to turn from rock-hard to ripe and ready is tough, and I really must remedy that by replanting in my yard. I used to have both an apricot and a satsuma plum, but one succumbed to disease and the other to age, and I haven't replaced them.

Yesterday, Lynne CoMo (a Sketchbook Skool buddy) posted photographs of her garden, noting that her neighbors would be getting a fair share of her abundance of peaches. I really wished in that moment to be one of those neighbors; I would much rather have eaten these peaches than painted them!

But...here's the painting. I don't paint wet-in-wet, but with this one I did give it a try within the individual peaches or between pairs of peaches, to get that graduated color you see on peach skins. The greens got a bit messy here and there, because I didn't plan them as well as I did the peaches.

It also didn't really start out intending to be a negative painting, but once I started putting in the blue sky, the rest of the painting called out for some darks to be added, and kind of ended up that way. I don't really know what I'm doing re: negative painting, so I'm sure it could have been better/more defined...but I think the peaches themselves definitely convey the basic idea, which is JUICY.



DAY 13: Lynn's Peaches

#30x30DirectWatercolor2019


No comments:

Post a Comment