10 June 2019

Scene from a farmhouse

DAY 10:

Today I tried making a painting based on a friend's snapshot of the dining room in her New England farmhouse. It seemed simple, and yet...I knew, after trying it once, that I couldn't reproduce the print of the fabric in the tablecloth (at least not without an underdrawing and/or resist), so I made it a solid color, but overworked the paper and paint. The vase was filled with sparks of light and reflections, but for the most part it didn't come off as sparkly. The peonies likewise didn't reflect the ambient light as much as they did in real life; and even painting the window and plain walls behind the scene was challenging!

So, not so simple. It retains a certain atmospheric painterly quality, but it's definitely not all that I hoped it would be, and that has little to do with the direct-to-watercolor challenge and much to do with impatience, (lack of) skill, and possibly bad (sketchbook) paper.



Maybe I will try this scene again later, with an underdrawing for a plan and on real watercolor paper, and see what happens.

DAY 10: FARMHOUSE

#30x30DirectWatercolor2019


No comments:

Post a Comment